By Kristen Greening
The Christmas period is coming up and that means more occasions to drink, eat and be merry – even at work. Although office parties and Friday night drinks can be a fun way to get to know your co-workers, there is still an appropriate way to act. Follow these simple rules and have a safe and respectable time at your work parties.
- Eat, drink and be merry — in moderation. If you choose to drink, drink minimally.
- Dress appropriately for the occasion. You’ve worked hard to create a professional image, and revealing or inappropriate clothes can alter your co-workers’ and manager’s perception of you as a competent professional.
- Your company party may be the only time you see the President or CEO in person, so introduce yourself.
- Find out who can come to the event. Spouses and significant others are not always on the guest list.
- If you’ve been a star performer in your organisation this year, you may be honoured with a toast. Accept the honour gracefully, but don’t drink to yourself or clap when others are applauding you.
- Pay attention to the time you arrive and when you leave. Even if you don’t really want to attend, avoid arriving 20 minutes before the end just to make an appearance.
- Be sure to thank those who coordinated the party. They likely put in a great deal of effort, hoping you would have a good time.
What are your tips for living it up at your coming company party? Let us know by making a comment below.